Position: Director of Risk
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Lindsay Construction is a company of engineers, contractors, and managers, active in civil, industrial, and building construction throughout the Atlantic Provinces. We have been in business since 1959 and have earned a reputation for performance and quality work.
Headquartered in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Lindsay Construction is ISO registered and has been named one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies! For more information, please visit our website at: www.lindsayconstruction.ca.
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, The Director of Risk is responsible for developing, implementing and maintaining risk management practices that enable Lindsay Construction to make risk-effective decisions. You will be responsible for the leadership, innovation, governance, and management necessary to identify, evaluate, mitigate, and monitor the company’s operational and strategic risk, with specific focus on insurance, contracts, and legal matters. As the ideal candidate, you will have a strong understanding of risk assessment and control and knowledge of legal concepts, principles, and terminology. You have an understanding of the insurance industry and are already familiar with industry compliance standards and regulations. Along with your financial and quantitative analysis skills, you are highly detail-oriented with a knack for critical thinking and negotiating. You will also have a natural ability to build and maintain lasting relationships and possess outstanding communication, presentation, negotiating and organizational skills.
What you’ll be doing:
- Develop and communicate risk management strategies, policies, and process and ensure they comply with applicable regulations
- Develop risk management controls and contingency plans
- Identify, measure, and manage risk (e.g., insurable, business, financial, legal, security)
- Evaluate existing policies and procedures to find weaknesses, and ensure department leaders understand the risks that might impact their department
- Monitor and analyze risks and report on these risks to the executive leadership team
- Advise leadership of critical situations and suggest solutions
- Define or oversee implementation of risk solutions that help optimize operations
- Evaluate internal awareness of risk and facilitate/support training when necessary
- Prepare risk and insurance budgets
- Address liability issues through appropriate insurance coverage internally and externally
- Direct the purchase of insurance programs
- Manage claims and loss control activities
- Manage relationships with third party service providers
- Maintain relationships with claims adjusters, insurers, and other claims-related parties
- Maintain insurance related records (policies, claims)
Legal & Contract:
- Conduct legal research and prepare reports and presentations
- Write and review legal-related documents
- Provide counsel with regards to negotiations and contracts
- Advising internal business partners on regulatory and contractual matters
- Seek external legal opinion and support as appropriate
- Liaise with external legal representation in ongoing legal cases
- Inform management on the progress and risks of juridical procedures and transactions
- Take ownership of ongoing legal-related matters, and report to executive team (i.e., CEO, CFO, COO) on status
- Ensure contractual obligations are known and met (i.e., contract coordination-management)
- Assist in the review of major proposals and contracts
- Monitor and keep informed of all new developments in corporate legal matters, including new laws and regulations and the progress and results of court cases; communicate any changes or important information to all levels of management
- Field legal and compliance inquiries from key stakeholders
What we are looking for:
As the successful candidate, you will have 5 years of experience with risk-related responsibilities (experience in the construction industry preferred), combined with a bachelor’s degree in risk management-related fields, such as law or paralegal, management, business, finance, engineering, insurance, or statistics. You will have experience with building insurance or risk-related processes, experience as a risk manager/director with Strong research skills, including analysis programs/software. You have an understanding of legal reference materials, procedures, and legal filing systems with the ability to read, interpret and apply legal documentation, laws or legislation along with auditing and reporting procedures.
If you are interested in this career opportunity, please forward your resume, in confidence, to email@example.com. Please reference “Director of Risk NS210422” in the subject line of your email.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.