Position: Project Accountant
Location: Dartmouth, NS
Lindsay Construction is a company of engineers, contractors, and managers, active in civil, industrial, and building construction throughout the Atlantic Provinces. We have been in business since 1959 and have earned a reputation for performance and quality work.
Headquartered in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Lindsay Construction is ISO registered and has been named one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies! For more information, please visit our website at: www.lindsayconstruction.ca.
Reporting to the Senior Construction Manager, the Project Accountant is responsible for technical and administrative duties, providing coordination with Site Superintendents, Clients, Consultants and Subcontractors; as well as document control and information flow. Working cooperatively with Project Managers and Site Superintendents, the Project Accountant will help to plan, direct, monitor, and control the on-site activities of Lindsay labour, Subcontractors, and Suppliers in order to achieve the fundamental project objectives.
The project accountant position is accountable for monitoring the progress of projects, investigating variances, approving expenses, and ensuring that project billings are issued to customers and payments collected.
Accountabilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Performs general accounting and administrative functions to meet contractual requirements for project account receivables.
- Coordinate with Project Teams and Accounting Department to assembles client billing packages in accordance with contract terms and conditions.
- Assist Project Team with accuracy of job costs, coordinate cost transfers with accounting when necessary.
- Accountable for monitoring the progress of projects, investigating variances, approving expenses, and ensuring that project billings are issued to customers and payments collected.
- Work with Project Teams to ensure that all costs are recorded and change orders are processed.
- Work directly with subcontractors to ensure subcontractor invoices are accurate and in compliance with terms of the subcontracts.
- Work directly with subcontractors to ensure required SubDocs (statutory declarations, insurance certificates, etc) are submitted and have not expired.
- Investigate variances and ensure accuracy of all subcontractor and Lindsay invoices prior to processing.
- Assists with the assembly of information for internal financial reporting requirements.
- Participate in monthly project cost review meetings
The ideal candidate will meet the following requirements:
- Postsecondary degree or diploma in a related discipline
- 2 years' experience in a billing administrator or similar role
- Basic exposure to General Contracting / Construction Industry.
- Strong proficiency with computerized systems (primarily Microsoft Excel, Word, and Outlook)
- Experience with electronic accounting system would be an asset (Jonas Preferred)
- Strong analytical skills with attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment, able to multi-task, set priorities and meet deadlines
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal and organization skills
- Commitment to continuous improvement and excellent customer service
- Ability to act with the required discretion when handling confidential information
All applications are strictly confidential.
If you are interested in this career opportunity, please forward your resume, in confidence, to email@example.com and reference “Project Accountant NS220208” in the subject line of your email.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.