Position: Safety Officer
Type: Full time position
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Lindsay Construction is a company of engineers, contractors, and managers, active in civil, industrial, and building construction throughout the Atlantic Provinces. We have been in business since 1959 and have earned a reputation for performance and quality work.
Headquartered in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Lindsay Construction is ISO registered and has been named one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies! For more information, please visit our website at www.lindsayconstruction.ca.
We have a need for a Safety Officer working out of Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. Reporting to the Director, Safety and Quality, the Safety Officer is responsible to fulfill safety obligations for the region. This opportunity is ideal for an individual who excels in a fast-paced and diverse environment. This position requires travel across the province.
Accountabilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Ensure compliance with applicable legislation within Atlantic Canada
- Participate in maintaining the company’s health and safety program
- Conduct safety training and maintain safety training records (e.g., safety orientations, equipment inspections)
- Participate in maintaining records in accordance with auditable safety programs
- Conduct comprehensive hazard assessments
- Conduct formal site inspections
- Participate in recording monthly safety statistics
- Implement, enforce, monitor, and update site specific health and safety plans
- Deliver site specific safety orientations and ensure that personnel undergo orientation before entering the site
- Maintain site specific logs of inspections, meeting, infractions, and mitigating measures
- Assist with maintenance of the company’s quality management system
- Work with the safety department on various business development initiatives (International Standards Organization, Workers Compensation Board, safety training, loss control, etc.)
The ideal candidate will meet the following criteria:
- 5+ years of safety experience within construction industry
- Experience working in an industrial setting
- Must have CHSC or CRSP designation.
- Knowledge of current legislation and regulations within Atlantic Canada
- Knowledge of safe work practices required for execution work and operation of equipment
- Knowledge of site safety and housekeeping
- Knowledge of preventative maintenance program for construction site equipment
- Strong administrative and organizational skills
- Must have experience working with MS Office Suite (MS Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Ability to lead and work with minimal supervision
- Possess valid driver’s license
- Successful applicants for this role must meet requirements for Canadian Government Security clearance
The ideal candidate will also have completed training in the following areas:
- Hazardous materials management and response/protocols
- Use and maintenance of Workplace Health, Safety and Compensation Commission certified fall protection systems
- Erection and inspection of scaffolding
- Workplace Health, Safety and Compensation Commission certified confined space entry protocols, techniques, and rescue plans
- Records and statistics
- Hazard identification, inspections, analysis, and control
- Workplace Hazardous Material Information System certified
- Health and safety program content
- Investigations and reporting
- Occupational health/hygiene
- Employee training and communication
- Emergency procedures and communication
- Emergency preparedness and first aid
How to Apply:
- Step 1 - Forward your resume and cover letter, in confidence, to email@example.com and reference “Safety Officer NS200910LW-2” in the subject line of your email.
- Step 2 - Answer the role-related questions at this link: Safety Officer (5-10 minute time commitment).
If the link above does not work, copy and paste this address into your browser to answer the questions: https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=daItORnqwkCfLTgMHLK2VFLEICxGXMJPjNDsHbvFTmFURFlNVzBYSkRONklJRDRTTldGME9YTlkwQSQlQCN0PWcu
We kindly request all individuals interested in this opportunity to follow the application process as outlined above; those who choose not to complete these steps risk not being considered for the role.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.